Thursday, February 18, 2010

Choice is not always a good thing.

Whenever I hear an expert give advice about weight loss, it always comes down to the fact that every day, every hour, every meal, every snack, everything---is a CHOICE. Do you want to eat right, get healthy, look good, feel good, be able to play with your kids, live longer, etc., etc., etc. Or, do you just want to eat that cupcake and feel like crap? Well duh. That's an obvious choice, right? Well, the expert say it like it's obvious. But, sometimes it's not.

I know, I know, the right answer is to want to eat right, get off my butt and get some exercise, take care of myself, have some pride, and feel better. But that's not usually the choice I make. It's not the easy choice. When I'm sitting at home with a houseful of small children, hanging out in my sweats, no one around to judge me,....well, quite frankly, I'd rather eat the cupcake. Because in that moment, the cupcake is going to make me feel good. And later, I'll probably regret it; or, at least I might think twice about it. But really, honestly, in that very moment when the cupcake is staring me in the face, and I'm hungry, and tired, and the kids are swirling around me like tiny little whirlwinds, I just want the satisfaction of that damn cupcake. In that moment, I could care less about what I look like, what other people think, whether or not my pants fit, whether my husband still finds me attractive or not......who cares?! In THAT moment, not me. And unfortunately, it's THAT moment that counts. Because I can care about all those other things later, but later doesn't really matter if I already ate the cupcake.

So....how do I care about all those other things in THAT moment? How do I reason myself through those moments so that I DON'T eat the cupcake? This is one I need to ponder........

Well, the two year old just told me the one year old made a "huge mess, M&M's, momma..." Better go clean that up. Any guesses as to how I will accomplish that?

No comments:

Post a Comment