Thursday, February 25, 2010

Bad Fatty McMommy

Confession Time.

In the last two weeks, we have discovered that my youngest child, the 16.5-month-old baby, is apparently allergic to wheat...or gluten....or both. (Officially allergy tests are scheduled for the middle of March). At any rate, this has meant some enormous dietary changes for said baby; and because the baby is still nursing, for me too.

Did you know that wheat is in EVERYTHING? No, seriously, EVERYTHING. And if something DOESN'T have wheat in it, it's probably been cross-contaminated with wheat. Since we've cut out wheat, Baby's skin has cleared up, head congestion has cleared up, tummy problems have improved....it's really helping. And yet....I'm still having a hard time with this for myself. I'm not totally ready to wean yet, because Baby is VERY low on the growth charts, and I firmly believe that continuing to nurse is a smart decision, nutritionally. So what the hell is wrong with me?! Even when my child's health is at stake, I'll still choose to put a cookie in my mouth! Don't get me wrong, I've been trying, and I'm doing fairly well, but every once in a while I give in, and I feel like the worst mommy ever. Seriously, a cookie or your child's health? That seems like a really easy choice. It IS a really easy choice. Someone should just slap me. Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment